Go Bananas – Final Report: Guitar Pedal

Introduction:

In the age of digital music a recent need to digitally alter music on the fly is not a necessity. It would be nearly impossible to make many of the sounds we hear all day long that make music enjoyable as we hear it today. Thus we have mane a cheap and effective sound altering patch that can be played real time that would generally cost  thousands with the adaptability.

Details:

The hardest part of the patch is the interface, where the computer side patch is the easiest and most flexible. The system requires a Mono>stereo connecter to PC audio board. One Arduino (maybe more/larger for additional buttons). We used 6 (selector stye) Switches that runs dry contact controls (on/off) . To build the patch it is helpful to emulate the physical controls with computer triggers and then later attach the human interface. To do this we ran “Bang” to “triggers” to “spigots”. The bang emulates what the ardwino will send, the trigger is used to flip the bit from 1>0 and back. The Spigot is similar to a Single pole changeover switch (always on but down different paths. Think of train track switches) Individual guitar effects can be found at guitarextended. By using spigot we can then pass audio through the distortion or not. It is important to note that for cleanliness it is nice to place the effects in sub patches to hide the mess. To wire every thing up insert the adc~ (instrument in) to the first spigot. If you built sub patches it is good to know that the what input goes where (generally in order) We for simplicity we placed the second input right to the output and the first though the distortion. The first half of the spigot connects to the first input (distorton) and the second though the bypass. You can do this for as many effects as you want. and then finally attache the output of the last effect to the dac~ (digital out/speakers) 

YouTube Preview Image

Reflection:

In the end the repeatability/ease to remake of the project after a few computer crashes was easy to make. The system was tested on both Windows and Mac with very little configuration other than COM ports. A few other considerations I would suggest making later on is the have a maybe a .25 second mixed fade between distortion and non. This would help with the issue we had when clicking from the distorted and non. Another consideration that I will implement later on is leveling of some patches. We noticed that depending on the inner working of the patch that is levels would be higher or lower of the non distorted. In the future Geoffrey plans on implementing a variable resister that can be used as a foot petal to alter various effects. Since the project is done and I have learned a bit more I would have liked to use a method that would allow the effects petal to control what order the effects are in. This is epically useful when compounding effects to get a better sound.

Leave Your Comment

Name*
Mail*
Website
Comment