This may be to difficult for the time constraints for high school students

Isaac Roehm

Next time tell me:

• Which resistors/capacitors affect the pitch the pitch the most

Next time don’t tell me:

• That it is easy

In terms of a learning project this needs:

• More time
  • I think that for teaching the students, breadboards would be much easier, faster, and safer

In terms of a motivational project this needs:

• To be not so hard for the high school students

In terms of getting the circuit done efficiently this needs:

• Better defined component value

A more effective way to teach this would be:

• To use breadboards or snap circuits

And furthermore…

• To a high school student this may seem a lot of work for something a 99 cent app on there phone will do in 30 seconds
01
George Swartzendruber
February 6th, 2013 7:50 pm

Yes, yes, and yes. I think I relate with you on almost every point and really like the comment about the fact that we aren’t providing much that they can’t get easily elsewhere (and if they really enjoy the process enough to stick it out till the end they likely are already on an engineering track and don’t need to have an interest sparked). Also, if we switch to breadboards then the actual creation of the circuit should only take like 30 minutes max (that’s giving plenty of time for mistakes and such) and gives us much more time to explain what causes the pitch to change and how the circuit works.

02
February 6th, 2013 9:34 pm

I agree with George agreeing with me.

It took me almost 2 hours to build and tune this circuit and I have been working with this stuff for several years and I know members of my group had trouble finishing it.

What we don’t want to do is frustrate the students and drive them away from engineering instead of bringing them in.

03
Ian Burford
February 6th, 2013 11:38 pm

I’d like to agree with the agreement previously agreed upon.

Time is of the essence! The breadboards might perhaps help with both time and helping the students to feel less intimidated by the process.

I feel that the schematic of the drawing is complicated and can feel overwhelming to someone who is unfamiliar with what all the symbols mean. It can be difficult to translate the schematic into reality, and this takes time. Thus, a simplified method of presenting the circuit (e.g. pictures of each step) might be more effective.

Also, I’m not sure if this was the plan, but… I also feel that the students might be more motivated and intrigued by the circuit building process if they could first see the end result. In other words, we should perform for them to show the students just how much fun you can have with circuits!

04
Trevor Rietcheck
February 7th, 2013 12:09 am

I have to agree with all of this.

Like Isaac, I myself have had experience with circuits before and soldering them, but to figure a decent placement on the board and then solder it without screwing up took more time than we will be able to provide these students.

The alternative breadboard can be confusing as well though. I know members of my team (Patrick) had a few problems here and there that caused malfunctions, but unlike the previous option, this is solved much easier with a simple rewiring.

You must be logged in to post a comment.