Archive for the 'III' Category
[[Team 4] – Progress Report III for Prototype I: [Easy Opener/Closer]

Goals for the week:

Work on initial design on jar opener, and figure out how to retrofit our current model to work, implement a relay to allow the motor to rotate both ways. 

Meeting times/dates

Tuesday-7:25-8pm

Thursday 3:30-5pm

 

What we did:

On tuesday Zubair and Michael met with the teacher and discussed some options. Nick was unable to attend due to the weather. Started thinking about design and materials that could be used. On Thursday there was a slight setback with one of the diodes on the bridge rectifier getting blown up. Nick worked on removing the bad diode and soldering a new one onto the bread board. Michael and Zubair worked on how to implement the new design to be able to work on the old frame.  Over the weekend Michael found another easy jar opener for much less than the initial one purchased and he bought it. Hoping to be able to use the motor or some of the parts from it. 

What we didn’t do:

Set up a relay to allow the motor to spin both ways, with the flip of a switch. 

Completely figure out our design. 

Where we are stuck:

Trying to figure out how our new model will work and differ from the original, stuck on figuring out the mechanical properties

Team 3! – Progress Report III for Prototype I: Mechanical camera stand control system for wheelchairs

Goals for the week:

-Kusay will bring a tripod on this thursday meeting. We will work on that.
-We will build styrofoam model for the whole mechanical design with the dimensions and check it and then start cutting the aluminum sheets after that.
-We will have to figure out where to get the aluminum sheets from…

Meeting times/dates

Same as in code of conduct: Tuesday and Thursday 6 pm wallace hall

Individual Hours:

Bill will work on catia design

Kusay will work on tripod

Rupak and Saeed will look for parts for the design

What we did:

Tuesday:

-Tested two servos and a motor with arduino uno hooked up with 2-axis joystick for pan and pitch and one-axis joystick for up and down(Motor).
-up and down movement on the stick will cause the motor to reverse its direction for up and down movement.
-Built a styrofoam sample model for the pitch movement to visualize the idea.
-We have solenoid to be used for locking the vertical shaft

Thurday:

-Got some parts from hardware store and assembled the design for pitch movement.

-Base for the camera is been mounted on turntable. Camera will rest on hinge which will allow the pitch movement.

-Drilled holes and screwed hinge, camera support onto the rotating platform of turntable.

-Drilled a wooden base and screwed it with the bottom of the turntable (Fixed platform)

 

What we didn’t do:

-We didn’t built the servo arm for pitch and pan movement.

-Other mechanical design is still left including vertical shaft movement and the integration of control with the design

Where we are stuck:

-Tripod that we got is heavy and would not fit with our design. We have to look for a lighter tripod to extract the vertical shaft for our design.

-We have not came out with a solution for connecting servo to the camera base.

-We are thinking to cut glass in the lab for mechanism to control pitch and pan

Notes/Misc:

Deliberate Gecko – Progress Report III for Prototype I: RPTC

Goals for the week:

Finish y-axis rails, mounting rollers, smoothing movement action, mounting carousel.

Get motors, mount them in carousel.

Get small pulleys for y-axis, get them mounted.

Get large pulleys mounted to external framework.

Finish mechanical construction of project.

Meeting times/dates

Wednesday – 2/27 – 1:45

Thursday – 2/28 – 3:15

Saturday – 3/2 – 9:00

Individual Hours:

Wednesday – All

Thursday – Miles, Michael M.

Saturday – All

What we did:

Mechanical construction 85% done.

Y-axis gliding mechanism attached, glides applied to internal surfaces.

X-axis rollers attached bracket, which was then attached to y-axis rails.

Y-axis rails smoothed out, glides with under 1 lb of force. Small stepper motor for y-axis movement mounted to carousel.

Small pulleys for y-axis mounted. Square aluminum to mount large pulleys drilled, to mount to external framework.

What we didn’t do:

Mounted large pulleys to external framework.

Mounted large stepper motor to carousel.

String the stepper motors for movement.

Mount arduino.

Where we are stuck:

We need a project name.

Notes/Misc:

Carousel gliding bracket


Small stepper motor in carousel


Y-axis rails with rollers and pulleys

 

BitShifters – Progress Report III for Prototype I: Shelf Assist

Goals for the week:

  • Meet with Gregg at CPRF.
    • Look at Wheelchair lift.
  • Get measurements of CPRF cabinets.
    • Width, depth, height, distance from counter.
    • Take pictures.
  • Figure out what materials and motor we want to use.
    • Start ordering this week.
  • Start building the mechanical structure for Prototype I.

Meeting times/dates

  • Tuesday, Feb. 26 – Meeting with Sir Tom.
  • Friday, March 1 – Visit with CPRF.

Individual Hours:

  • Andrew – Went to CPRF, met with Gregg, looked at wheelchair lifts, and got measurements of CPRF cabinets.
  • Ibrahim - 
  • Jeff – Built frame to use for the cabinet, ordered pre-built manual pull down shelf
  • Shanto - 

What we did:

  • We met with Gregg at CPRF, looked at wheelchair lifts, and got pictures. Gregg also showed some linear actuators, as well as a way to get two movements out of one motor.
  • We got measurements of the CPRF cabinets. The cabinets are different sizes and some are not ideal for automated lowering shelves.
  • We found a manual pull-down shelf online http://www.menards.com/main/home-decor/cabinet-accessories/wall-cabinet-specialty-systems/premiere-pull-down-shelving-system-small/p-1297699.htm. If we purchase this pull down shelf, we could skip the tedious construction and start working on EE stuff. 
  • This shelf was ordered.
  • Built simple box frame for cabinet to install shelf in.
  • We decided on a team name. WE ARE BITTSHIFTERS!

What we didn’t do:

  • We forgot to get pictures of the CPRF cabinets. (Silly Andrew!)
  • We didn’t start building the mechanical structure, but we can skip most of that if we buy the pull-down shelf.

Where we are stuck:

 

Notes/Misc:

  • The pull-down shelf from Menards is wider than the CPRF cabinets, but once we get everything working we should be able to custom build one for the different specifications.
Eh Team- Progress Report III for Prototype I: Wheelchair Interface/API

Goals for the week:

  • try somebody’s example of an arduino and android talking to each other
  • if arm comes we will start making the box
  • if time look at tweaking retractable table:
    • more power (faster)
    • more stable
  • document hardware and links for reference in googledoc.

Individual Hours:

Ali: 5 hours

Imran:

Kishor: 2 Hours

Cody: 2 Hours

Meeting Times:

Sunday: 2:00-4:30

What we did:

After messing with the tablet to try to determine how to download the app to the tablet, we discovered Android SDK did not recognize our Coby tablet as a supported tablet.  Therefore, we have to create the app and download it to Google Play, and then root the tablet to be able to use Google Play to download the app.  So we have rooted the tablet.  Our google doc, where we have began to add references, can be found here.

Before class on Tuesday we plan on having a concept for the waterproof box to put around, created out of plastic or cardboard.    

We discussed trying to use a hinge like the ones found on the flip up desks in lecture halls to be use on the right side of the chair to support the table better.

What we didn’t do:

Because we ran into problems trying to find a way to download the app to the tablet, we have not yet attempted to communicated with the tablet and the arduino.  Instead the time was spent rooting the tablet.

Where we are stuck:


Notes/Misc:

Blue Team – Progress Report III for Prototype I: Smart Cushion

Goals for the week:

  • tweak processing code so you don’t need a delay.
    • this example might help
    • do a mapping to PSI on the sensors
    • shop for connectors to the cushion (Lowe’s or whatever)
    • goal: sit on something and get a reading.
    • Find a more suitable tubing and adapter for the sensor.

Meeting times/dates

Saturday, 10am-1pm in the Senior Design Workshop.

Individual Hours:

Travis Whitty: ~1 hour shopping for tubing and adapters.  I have found the correct tubing and connectors to get our pressure sensor hooked up to the cushion.  The tubing had to be special ordered and should be here by the end of the week.

Brian Coffman: 1 hour working on Prototype I final report. Significant progress has been made on the Introduction and Description portions. Ordered more cushions, as one of our original two was damaged. Filled out reimbursement form for materials purchased so far.

Jared Hess: ~30 minutes shopping for original tubing and fittings (Saturday) and ~30 minutes code debugging.

What we did:

We updated our code so that it no longer requires the delay to function correctly.  We also managed to hook up our cushion to a tube.

Our code has been uploaded to dropbox and all team members should have write access. Link to view all code versions/branches is:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/irnokoa1mqoulll/2QTD6BtVL2?m

What we didn’t do:

We did not get any results from the sensors yet as we did not have the correct equipment to hook the sensor up to the tubing.  We will shop for a better tube and a more suitable adapter for this situation.

Where we are stuck:

As of March 5, 1am the following no longer applies. See edit.

On our code, when we fixed it so that it will run without the delay, there was a small aesthetic problem we had with printing out our results.  We wanted the result as “pot1: XXX” but instead we got “[pot1: XXX.”  The line of code we used to get rid of this only worked the first time it looped for some reason reason and we are researching on how we can get the results we are looking for.

Current program:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/irnokoa1mqoulll/tq6fSS1Aoe/serial_read_pot4_INTERRUPT/serial_read_pot4_INTERRUPT.pde

EDIT: Issue has been resolved. Problem was caused by not considering the newline character the arduino will write after printing a line to the com port. See changes made in the following file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hf2w0uylzreq333/serial_read_pot5_INTERRUPT_WORKING.pde

Notes/Misc:

We have experienced a physical failure of one of our 2 test air cells (cushions). It is unknown at this time if repair will be feasible. 

A Team – Progress Report III for Prototype I: Microbot

Goals for the week:

  • 1. Meet with Ivan, 2/27 @7pm. Go as far as you can with him (based on workshop).
    2. Decide/Discuss prototype I microbot size/dimensions.
    3. Use/Test 3D printer. Further develop 3D printer stuff. Try at least one more part.
    4. Register for open house.
    5. Fill out/Submit Prototype I report III
    6. Start Building microbot or hacking existing microbot.

Meeting times/dates

  • Wed 2/27 @7pm-TBD W/Ivan.
  • Monday 3/4 @7pm-TBD.

Individual Hours:

Gustavo: build circuit board 4hrs, quality assurance W/Brandon: 3-4hrs.

James:    

20 minutes. Took apart new micro bot frame.
20 minutes. Researched and read about MakerBot Thing-O-Matic. 
Techniques and standards. http://www.makerbot.com/support/thingomatic/documentation/

Standards:
.4mm(.017in) width nozzle. 
1.5mm(.006in) to .1mm(.004in) – documented limit. probably more like .015in for now until optimal settings are found.

With this If we want thin walls we have to print with frame laying on sides.

Will research Lasercutter. (InkScape) is the software. www.epiloglaser.com is the website 

 

Brandon: 4hrs wired test robot.1 hr write code.

Hector: Research raspberry pi for about 1 hr. Still looking for a smaller version, if one exist.

Gustavo: development of the final board for the first prototype ( 4hrs). Quality Assurance (1 hour). Studying potential development board ( Raspberry PI) 2 hrs.

What we did:

1. Met with Ivan. We went over design limitations for hacking a existing RC car. (see below for notes/pictures)

2. We decided to hack existing robots.

2. Decide on the robot size. First, choice too big, second robot chosen. Bigger robot used for testing, Second robot used for implementation. 

3. Took apart second robot. 

4. Research 3d printer. 

5. Research raspberry pi 

6. Start/Finsihing building/soldering final circuit board for 1st prototype.

What we didn’t do:

1. Don’t print anything on the 3D printer.

2. Didn’t register for open house.

Where we are stuck:

1. From Ivan’s meeting,  still deciding if we are going to use Raspberry Pi or standard RF frequency.

2. Didn’t fill out open house registration, didn’t know if we are going to go with the raspberry or Rf frequency.

         if we go with the raspberry pi, our robot will become bigger. Project might become more difficult.

         maybe we can bend the raspberry pi and re-solder ?

         If we go with the raspberry pi, we will have more potential, less expenses, and one centralized interface.

 

Notes/Misc:

>>>>>>>RC CARS<<<<<<<<<

 

 

 

 Ivan’s Notes: the more the stuff inside the robot, the bigger the robot and the more power (battery power) it requires. If using Arduino, we have to pay attention to the timers. If using raspberry pi, we might loose the term micro because of the size of the chip. Ivan demonstrate how to use an H-bridge. Demonstrate issues/problems in modifying existing robots.

 

 

 

 

3D printer Notes/Guide:

http://www.makerbot.com/support/thingomatic/documentation/

Source code:

motor_arduino_final